May 15, 2015
The Hong Fook Mental Health Association is pleased to announce the Diversity and Equity in Mental Health and Addictions Conference 2015: Cross-cultural Perspectives on Recovery and Resilience. The Conference is jointly organized by Across Boundaries, Canadian Mental Health Association, Toronto Branch, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Hong Fook Mental Health Foundation, Loft Community Services, Mount Sinai Hospital and University Health Network.
When: Friday May 15th, 2015, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Where: Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Toronto, 475 Yonge Street, Toronto
· Nora Jacobson, PhD, senior scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA
· Roni Berger, PhD, Full Professor, Adelphi University School of Social Work, New York, USA
Health care providers, settlement service workers, peer support workers, school board personnel, policy makers, directors, CEOs for hospital/community agencies, first responders, and funders as well as consumer, family members, students and the community at large.
At the end of the conference, participants will be able to:
- Develop cultural competent and holistic practices including traditional, cultural, spiritual beliefs/healing practices
- Incorporate principles of recovery and resilience into their work with diverse communities
- Learn more about Inter-professional and cross-sectional collaboration to promote recovery
- Broaden the understanding of recovery and resilience concepts
- Understand the post-traumatic growth and its relation to recovery and resilience
|08:00 - 08:30 am||Breakfast and Registration|
|08:30 - 09:00 am||Welcome Remarks|
|09:00 - 10:15 am||Keynote Lecture: Nora Jacobson, PhD|
|Beyond Recovery: Alternative Models for Thinking about Recovery and Resilience in Diverse Communities|
|10:15 - 10:30 am||Break|
|10:30 - 11:45 am||Workshops (TBC)|
|11:45 - 12:45 pm||Lunch|
|12:45 - 02:00 pm||Keynote Lecture: Roni Berger, PhD|
|What we know about culture and post-traumatic growth and how we can translate it into community-based practice|
|02:00 - 02:15 pm||Break|
|02:15 - 03:30 pm||Workshops (TBC)|
|03:30 - 04:00 pm||Closing Plenary and Closing Remarks|
Sessions conducted in English
How to register:
$130 including breakfast, lunch and conference materials
Group rate: $110 for the first 3 registrations (Non-profit organization with budget under $1 million)
Workshop information will be sent to registrant who has finished the online registration. Please then indicate the workshop that you would like to attend.
416-493-4242 ext. 2243 or the Contact Form.